I’ve experienced a creative block all week. I usually have ideas going off like Christmas lights. I’ve had ideas, but not INSPIRED ideas. No “AHA” moments. It’s not fun but I remind myself that any kind of creativity is a Process.
Creativity is a process. It’s not a straight line from Point A to Point B. To continue to produce creatively does require discipline, but discipline does not guarantee inspiration.
The Creative Process is like water in a river. Sometimes debris will gather in spots in the river, slowing water down. It is only through repetition and time that the jam will work loose.
While I am tempted to become frustrated, I’ve learned to participate in the process to get the waters flowing.
Regardless of the medium, I’ve found the process is the same.
Ideas to unlock writer’s block, do 1 every day as needed:
- Continue writing what you are already working on. It doesn’t matter if it’s not your best work. Just keep doing it on a regular basis.
- Edit, instead of writing. Re-edit other work.
- Inhale non-writing subject matter. Listen to a podcast, music, or read a photography journal.
- Try Humor in your preferred media. I prefer Liz Climo.
- Look up a list of something: reinterpret that list into your own words.
- Visit a store that you have never or rarely go to.
- Work on the home project you have been putting off.
- Take some photos of inanimate objects. Describe in 5 words.
- Change one thing in your routine, even moving the time forward 30 minutes.
- Participate in an activity to increase mindfulness. Other then the obvious Yoga/exercise/walking- try organizing something, papers or cabinets or junk drawer. Cutting things is mindful. Anything repetitive that you can do without thinking is a mindfulness conduit.
How do you unlock the block of creativity? I’d love to try some new ideas ha ha.
KEEP THESE IDEAS FOR NEXT TIME, RIGHT CLICK AND PRINT BELOW, or PIN.