Children will learn several vital skills while having fun with this Butterfly Roll and Color activity!
Kids will build visual discrimination while playing this game.
Kids learn improve their subitizing skills when playing this game. Subitizing means that one knows the number of a group of objects without actually having to count.
Kids practice working memory while playing this game. That's because the game requires the same repeated steps:
- Children have to remember what the number of the dice is-
- Find the matching amount on the page-
- Color that amount.
Other benefits of this math game:
Children can help each other find the number on the page and they enjoy playing together. Children also can learn their colors while playing this game
How to play Roll and Color a Butterfly:
- Make sure each student has: The math game page, and coloring tools.
- To see who takes the first turn, each student rolls the die. The player with the highest number goes first.
- Turns are taken in a clockwise direction.
- When a player rolls the die, they color the section of the picture that matches the number that was rolled.
- If the number has been rolled already, the student passes their turn.
- There is no winner really. The goal is to complete the coloring of the picture.
(We use a big foam dice from the dollar store. The students don't have to worry about dropping the die, throwing it too hard, or losing it.)
This game is also perfect for differentiated learning
The format of the Rolling Rainbow Preschool Math Game Roll offers differentiated Learning. What is differentiated Learning?
“Differentiated instruction addresses the needs of students of differing abilities and learning styles in the same class”.
Anyone who has been around a group of children of the same age, probably notices kids naturally learn differently. Some children may be visual, so they have a natural bent to learning colors and shapes. Other children are hands on learners so they may solve different problems in a different natural way then another child would.
This No – Prep game is created and tried and tested by me. I observed students as they played it. Their math skills improved time but best of all the kids absolutely loved playing this!
If the kids like this roll and color a butterfly they may also like to roll and color a rainbow!