I’m not telling you what to do.
I am equipping readers with valid sources to make an educated decision regarding the mask controversy.
As an Oregonian, I am now mandated to wear a face mask.
I was a “better safe then sorry” mask-wearer, pre-mandate.
However, I’m still on the fence about mandated mask wearing.
Mask vs non-mask is a divider in our small rural community.
Non-Maskers- Get angry at the government.
Maskers- Respect other’s Non-Mask choice.
5 basic questions and answers highlights:
- Masks contribute to “source control”.
- Less Covid-19 tiny spit escapes if both wear masks= spreads 5 ft.
- If 1 person is masked= spit spreads +30ft and stays in air up to 30 hrs.
- Proper Mask ventilation= blow out a candle with mask on from 1 ft.
- Charge it=”… Rubbing mask w/latex gloves for 30 sec. prior to use, can increase efficacy by 30%
Mask science Article Highlights:
- “Masks may be more effective as a “source control” because they can prevent larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther.”
- Read the studies where mask recommendation standards originated from.
- 2 case reports that show mask wearing stopped virus spread due to masks.
- CDC changed it’s mask recommendations due to: 1) shortage of surgical masks. 2) U.S. wasn’t culturally prepared. 3) Better understanding of Covid-19.
- Chin- Hong, “Nobody’s taking a cholesterol medicine because they’re going to prevent a heart attack 100 percent of the time, but you’re reducing your risk substantially.”
Masks don’t work highlights:
- Lots of medical reports provided for evidence of mask non-effectiveness.
- 1 is recent-published in 2020.
- No Covid-19 tests.
- Studies show masks ineffective regarding other airborne viruses.
Mixed Answers Highlight:
May Chu, a clinical professor in epidemiology at the Colorado School of Public Health on the Anschutz Medical Campus –
“The recommendations that everyone wear masks are because “any kind of impediment is better than nothing,” Chu said. But fabric masks are not expected to be as protective as surgical masks, she said. That’s why public health officials are warning people to remain at least 6 feet apart from one another, even if they are wearing masks.”
Use your critical thinking skills. Know why you are making your choice.
Feedback and comments always welcome for discussion.