What makes a Rainbow is my all time favorite Rainbow book, I don’t care what age you are, the ribbons are magic.
R is for Rainbow Art Activity
BUILDING SKILLS: Writing: Letter formation and recognition, fine motor
Science: color mixing experimentation
Math: Counting ribbon colors, counting the colors used.
- A letter R cut out for each child (free printable)
- R is for Rainbow Template (free printable)
- Oil Pastels
- Glue Stick
- Cloth for wiping fingers off
- Read Over the Rainbow a few times over one week. During these readings, children count the ribbon colors.
- After final reading, introduce rainbow colors and talk about color mixing.
- Demonstrate how to smudge and mix colors using oil pastels.
- Tell children we are going to make our own rainbows with oil pastels. We can smudge our rainbows, and mix the colors if we want to.
- The child identifies the letter and glues onto template letter R.
- The child chooses an oil pastel and traces the attached letter R, with proper letter formation.
- Show children where to make their rainbows on the page.
- Then, they go for it!
- Use math again to ask the child to count what colors they used.
LINK FOR DIRECT DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES BELOW THE Word Picture